Head of Logistics and Warehouse Operations, Harwich (Site Based) Essex, UK
- Location: Harwich, Essex.
- Status: Permanent, full time.
- Salary: Negotiable/Competitive
We are seeking a Group Head of Warehousing & Logistics. The successful applicant will report into the Group Operations Director.
You will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the logistics and warehouse function, including leadership. The role includes overseeing the overall process and procedures within the logistics and warehouse operations, with the objective of improving cost, service and flexibility for the business, whilst creating a continuous improvement culture across the wider team.
The role will work closely with key stakeholders such as Commercial, Production, supply chain, Logistics, Warehouse and Health and Safety.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing the daily operation of warehousing and logistics including processes and procedures
- Driving KPIs and service levels
- Ensure legislative compliance.
- Planning the workload , external warehousing based on the 13-week forecast.
- Oversee the inbound container intake to have zero demurrage and detention.
- Plan for growth to ensure sufficient capacity ahead of demand, maximising flexibility and minimising operational costs.
- Champion highest standards of Health & Safety.
- Project management – manage & support projects which affect the departments directly and indirectly, ensuring timelines are met.
- Strive for business improvements and cost reduction initiatives.
- Promote and advise on embedding best practice.
- Ensure daily / weekly workload planning and volume forecasting routines are accomplished.
- Investigate and resolve issues that arise.
- Control waste within guidelines.
- Recruitment of staff and support staff development and training requirements.
Skills, qualification and experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role (preferably whole sale / distribution operation)
- Demonstrable track record in senior leadership and P&L accountability within a warehousing and logistics role.
- A confident leader and decision maker, able to articulate and deliver the operational vision and bring the culture change within team.
- Practical knowledge of logistical and regulatory constraints.
- Excellent in-depth knowledge of warehousing, stock control and transport operations including fleet optimisation, fleet compliance and fleet preventative maintenance.
- Experience in stock takes, Stock reconciliation between 3rd Party warehousing.
- Experience of specifying fleet, identifying optimal vehicle utilisation and introducing economy initiatives.
- Excellent stock control and warehousing knowledge familiar with planning optimal stock flow and layouts within the warehouse across goods in, put away, pick, pack, vehicle loading and despatch within a busy, fast paced environment.
- Practical knowledge of warehousing, stock control and transport KPI’s and experience of embedding these within an operation to drive performance, add value and improve profitability.
- Experienced in presenting MI and business improvement initiatives to the board.
- Ability to work as part of a team with colleagues across professional, operational and cultural boundaries.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to handle a number of tasks at once and meeting deadlines as required.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with excellent people in a growing Company.
- Company pension
- Discounted or free food
- Employee discount
- Free parking
- On-site parking
- Referral programme