Manufacturing Director (FMCG Foods) – Harwich, Essex
Salary / Rate: Competitive / Negotiable
Status: Full Time / Permanent / Consultancy may also be considered
Location: Harwich, Essex
Surya Foods is one of the largest suppliers of authentic world foods in the UK and the company behind fastest growing UK rice brand, Laila – part of the rapidly expanding, family run Flying Trade Group (FTG) which boasts an annual UK turnover in excess of £130-million and operates in over 30 countries. Impressive growth has seen FTG enter the 2018 Sunday Times Top Track 250 league tables and the Sunday Times International Track 200 in 2019 and in 2020 company sales are already growing at 28%.
We supply 100’s of products into supermarket giants Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl, Co-Op, Iceland. We supply key customers such as Bestway, Brakes and Bidfood in our every growing food service channel. We also supply over 1000 independent retail accounts across the UK which is the heartbeat of our business, as well as our recently created online store selling over 2000 SKU’s. Surya Foods also represents some leading imported brands including Britannia Biscuits, National Foods, FOCO, Ajinomoto and Samai among others as part of our World Foods ranges.
With rapid expansion plans over next 3 years, we are planning on launching another 100 SKU’s this year, bringing new products and innovation to every sales channel. We are dramatically expanding our business with new capacity, new manufacturing capability and a much bigger commercial, marketing and buying team. We are embarking on a journey from specialist World Foods supplier to a leading FMCG mainstream manufacturer that is truly multi-channel and global.
Based at our 11 acre production, distribution and foods head office site in Harwich, Essex you will work closely with multiple departments including transport, production, quality and sales & marketing ensuring the smooth running of fast moving production and warehousing facilities and logistical operations.
Building on your extensive experience and knowledge, working in a comparable role in FMCG, you will be a ‘walk the floor’ manager with a track record of cultural, process and operational improvement, change and transformation, team building, employee engagement and empowerment within a growth environment.
Beyond specific duties is a need to see the bigger picture and apply both quick fixes where identified and then longer term improvements across our entire food operations which align with the overall business strategy.
- To Manage the manufacturing teams incorporating Production and Engineering to deliver the goals and objectives of the organisation.
- Ensure a ‘right first-time’ manufacturing approach and set strategic goals for operational efficiency and productivity.
- Ensure compliance to all UK legislation, independent accreditation like BRCGS and retailer standards.
- Develop Management team to meet existing and future manufacturing requirements.
- Supporting business operations through strong leadership including ensuring high morale, teamwork and good employee relations, at all levels.
- Support development of production plans in-line with client forecasts with emphasise on business unit efficiency and profitability.
- Liaise with planning department ensuring production targets are achieved.
- Liaise with engineering department to identify improvements in accordance with best practice and to facilitate maximum efficiency from plant and equipment.
- Directing and co-coordinating manufacturing according to quality and quantity specifications within cost objectives
- Ensure all business unit facilities and services are being utilised effectively to operate at maximum efficiency.
- Pro-actively develop and introduce lean manufacturing techniques in production.
- Implement and achieve key manufacturing KPI’s.
- Ensure that the factory operates at optimum levels of cost effectiveness with emphasis on wastage of resources and raw materials.
- Support managers in development and control of labour budgets, ensuring that manpower levels, overtime working etc. are effectively controlled within operational demands.
- Manage budgeting and budget with focus on product costs and margins.
Suitable candidates will have:
- FMCG Food / Drinks manufacturing industry Operations Manager & Head of Operations level experience
- Experience of leading and directing successful operational change within food/drinks FMCG manufacturing companies
- Strategic experience in shaping operations.
- Expertise in leading, implementing and developing site relevant processes.
- Experience in leading and managing large teams.
- Experience departmental reviews and restructures.
- A great understanding of UK legislation, independent accreditation such as BRCGS and retailer standards.
If you want to join us on our exciting journey and have the experience and dedication required to take us to the next level, we would love you to apply.