Senior Buyer (Food Manufacturing) Harwich, Essex
- Role: Senior Buyer
- Salary: Competitive / Negotiable
- Status: Full Time / Permanent
- Location: Harwich, Essex
Surya Foods is one of the largest suppliers of authentic world foods in the UK and the company behind fastest growing UK rice brand, Laila – part of the rapidly expanding, family run Flying Trade Group (FTG) which boasts an annual UK turnover in excess of £130-million and operates in over 30 countries. Impressive growth has seen FTG enter the 2018 Sunday Times Top Track 250 league tables and the Sunday Times International Track 200 in 2019 and in 2020 company sales are already growing at 30%.
We supply 100’s of products into supermarket giants Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl, Co-Op, Iceland. We supply key customers such as Bestway, Brakes and Bidfood in our every growing food service channel. We also supply over 1000 independent retail accounts across the UK which is the heartbeat of our business, as well as our recently created online store selling over 2000 SKU’s. Surya Foods also represents some leading imported brands including Britannia Biscuits, National Foods, FOCO, Ajinomoto and Samai among others as part of our World Foods ranges.
With rapid expansion plans over next 3 years, we are planning on launching another 100 SKU’s this year, bringing new products and innovation to every sales channel. We are dramatically expanding our business with new capacity, new manufacturing capability and a much bigger commercial, marketing and buying team. We are embarking on a journey from specialist World Foods supplier to a leading FMCG mainstream manufacturer that is truly multi-channel and global.
To facilitate this growth, we are seeking an experienced and talented food buyer to join a hugely successful, speciality food business.
- You will be responsible for all aspects of the purchasing function including: Sole responsibility for strategic management of a designated group of key suppliers.
- Manage supply base and work with colleagues to ensure the required quality, price, and service standards are met or exceeded at all times
- Ensure that all buying activities are carried out in line with the company strategy, and in compliance with established policies and procedures
- Negotiate contract terms (e.g. pricing, rebates, promotional support, exclusivity etc) with the designated suppliers to achieve optimum commercial benefit and ensure that the commercial interests of the business are secured and protected.
- Initiate and lead product/category reviews to deliver continuous improvement in product range, quality and pricing
The ideal candidate will have experience in Food FMCG procurement with the following skills;
- Food buying experience is essential
- Planning and selecting an efficient range for a product category across private label and brands
- Global sourcing capability and experience in setting up international supply chains
- Procuring at the the right technical standards and product quality benchmarks
- Managing supplier relationships end to end, being exceptional negotiators and influencers
- As good at selling as buying – a commodity buying specialists who understands dynamic market selling prices, facilitating high volume category sales at required margins
- Collaborative and proactive with sales, technical, product development and supply chain
- Strong planning and organisational skills, a high attention to detail and good working knowledge of systems such as ERP, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Highly driven to deliver personal KPI’s on category sales and cash profit
- Comfortable with change in a dynamic working environment
- Self starter who is able to deliver to tight deadlines
If you want to join us on our exciting journey, have the experience and dedication to take us to the next level, we would love to hear from you.